Would I need to apply for building regulations for re-roofing my home?

If you are re-roofing the whole property, or more than a quarter of the roof area, then you will need to submit a Building Regulations application form to your local authority. This is so an appointed building inspector can check various key areas of work including ventilation and loft insulation thickness.

For those people requiring a Building Regulations application, there is now a government backed scheme called Competent Roofer, which is run by the National Federation of Roofing Contractors. Roofers who are registered under the scheme are now able to bypass the local authority and can sign off their own work as meeting the current Building Regulations. You can locate your nearest competent roofer by using our Find a Contractor facility which identifies those who are currently members.

Speak to your local specialist