Roofing contractors across the country have had to rapidly adapt their businesses to operate in the midst of a global pandemic. If you go back just over a year ago, to the start of 2020, no-one would have predicted the scale and speed of the challenges that would hit the whole construction sector. From lockdowns, furlough, and demand fluctuation to the implementation of Covid-secure measures, testing and self-isolation procedures.
The pandemic has changed the way that businesses operate, as well as the way they communicate with customers and the supply chain. Training and skills development has been limited throughout the pandemic and labour shortages continue to be a concern.
Yet, despite these ongoing challenges, the roofing industry appears to be very busy. Indeed, a recent survey from the NFRC found that workloads were up in all roofing sectors in the last quarter of 2020 and more firms expect workloads to increase in 2021, rather than decrease.
This means that support from manufacturers is more important than ever before. That’s why we have launched our new ‘Supporting The Roofer’ campaign, to help contractors spend less time on admin and more time earning money on roofs. We want to help make their lives easier and safer, as well as help their businesses to thrive during and after the pandemic.
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have noticed more roofers accessing our online support – whether that is through our website, app, or social channels. So we have packaged all of our support tools and advice into one area of our website, specifically for roofers – whether they need installation advice, guidance on new standards, safety information or contact details for our technical team. Everything is all in one place, so they can access what they need, when they need it. This support is focussed on three key areas:
It goes without saying that the health and safety of roofers, both on and off site, is the most important thing. We will be providing information throughout the year on the best ways to lower the risks of working on site - from important safety information on COVID operating procedures and working in the winter, to Safe in the Sun advice and links to mental health support.
We’ve added tools and products to help contractors advertise their businesses, add extra revenue streams, save time and reduce the cost of call-backs.
- Free installer locator tool – We’ve launched a new installer locator tool which puts contractors’ businesses in front of the thousands of homeowners that visit our site monthly. They can simply fill in the form (www.marley.co.uk/supportingtheroofer/installerrequest) to help attract new business leads in their local area.
- Extra income streams – New products, such as Marley SolarTile, can help roofers add extra revenue streams and make the most of the huge growth potential in solar PV due to new Part L regulations.
- Complete roof systems – The ability to source all products from one manufacturer makes installation much quicker and easier for contractors, reduces the time wasted in call backs and comes with a 15-year guarantee.
- Quick access to technical support and advice – Whatever the query, experts are there to help, either online or over the phone.
Installation and technical help
We’ve included free installation, specification and technical tools and guidance.
- Installation videos and guides – Extensive fixing guides and videos to ensure that installing our roof systems is as seamless as possible.
- Online technical tools – Contractors can get a fixing specification or an estimate quickly and easily, as well as request free samples for them or their customers.
- Updates on the latest regulations – This helps roofers stay up to date with the latest changes to roofing standards.
- Roofing sitework guide – Our popular Sitework Guide app, or printed copy, can be accessed from the website and gives contractors a roofing expert in their pocket at any time of day or night.